Importing your data from Microsoft Money to MoneyWiz is easy. We have a lot of clients coming from Microsoft Money and the import works well for them. Microsoft Money can export accounts to a single QIF file. MoneyWiz not only supports import from this file type, it will import the transfers between your accounts as well as split payments you may have on your accounts, payees and categories.
In this guide we’ll cover the following areas:
Before starting to export your accounts, please take a note of their Opening Balance. You would need this information when creating your account in MoneyWiz. For the accounts to come up with the right balance after the import they need to have their Opening Balance set as of the date of the first transaction that you will be importing.
Please note that if you don’t import all accounts, the other accounts might not come up with the correct balances, because of the transfers between them and the accounts you haven’t imported.
Exporting from your current application
- Go to File -> Export.
- Select a QIF Format to export to. You will have two options here: Loose and Strict QIF format. The basic difference between these two is the volume of information they could carry. Select the Loose QIF format. It could carry more information than the Strict QIF format and MoneyWiz can read it just perfectly and import all of your data.
- Choose location to save the file and how to name it. You can choose any location that you would like. Usually the easiest thing to do is to save it to the Desktop.
- Select the account type to export. In Microsoft Money you could have two types of accounts – Regular and Investment. All of your checking, cash and credit accounts will go into the Regular type and any stock, 401k, etc account will go in the Investment type.
- Select the Account you will be exporting and click Continue.
- That's it! Your file will be exported.
Importing to MoneyWiz
Review the Import OFX, QFX, QIF, CSV and MT940 files from banks or other applications guide to see how to set up MoneyWiz before you import your data to MoneyWiz.