What this guide will cover
Just like accounts are containers for your transactions, account groups are containers for your accounts. Using account groups is entirely optional but it can be a useful way of organising your growing accounts list.
Table of contents
- Creating an account group
- Placing accounts into, or removing from, an account group
- Modifying an account group
- Deleting an account group
Creating an account group
This can be done in the following ways:
- MoneyWiz for Desktop:
- using the + button in the bottom-left corner, just above the Settings cog,
- going to menu bar at the top of the screen and choosing File -> New -> New Group.
- MoneyWiz for Mobile:
- tap on the + button at the top of the screen -> New Group.
You'll be asked for the following information:
- Group name: something for you to easily identify it on the list. If you're creating a group for all accounts in a certain bank, you could use the bank name ("Chase accounts"). If you're trying to divide everyday accounts from accounts that see fewer day-to-day activity, you could name them as such ("Everyday accounts"). It's up to you!
- Group currency: your account groups can have different currency than the accounts themselves. By default, they'll reflect your local currency but this can be changed here.
In MoneyWiz for Mobile, there's a special interface that allows you to add accounts into the group right away:
When you finish creating the account group, you'll see that it has its own balance calculation - totalling all accounts stored within. Please note that if you have excluded an account from Net Worth calculation, it will not be included in group balance calculation.
Placing accounts into, or removing from, an account group
You have already seen that MoneyWiz for Mobile offers a way to add accounts into a group during group creation. But it's easy to add or remove accounts from a group later as well.
Both on Desktop and Mobile, you can simply edit the account you wish to put in a group and use the group allocator that is available in Extended section of account edit pane.
Also on all platforms, it's possible to allocate accounts to groups via dragging. On Desktop, this requires no preparation: just click and hold then drag an account under a group you wish to place it in. On Mobile, you first need to tap on the pencil icon at the top of the screen to make the dragging handles appear.
Modifying an account group
To modify an account group, for example to change its name or currency:
- (Desktop): double-click on the group name in the sidebar or right-click on the group name in the sidebar and click Edit,
- (Mobile): tap on pencil icon at the top of the screen and tap on the account group you wish to edit.
Deleting an account group
In order to delete an account group, do the following:
- (Desktop): right-click on the account group name in the sidebar and click Delete,
- (Mobile): tap on the pencil icon at the top, tap on the red delete button next to the account group you wish to delete and confirm deletion.
Deleting an account group does not delete accounts stored within - they'll be placed outside the group before the group is deleted.