What this guide will cover
MoneyWiz comes with a set of default categories to get you started entering transactions right away. However, you are free to create, edit and delete categories as you wish! This guide will show you how to do this.
Table of contents
- Accessing categories list
- Creating new categories
- Editing categories
- Deleting categories
Accessing categories list
To access the categories list, you need to go to MoneyWiz Settings:
- on MoneyWiz for Desktop, use the relevant shortcut (⌘ cmd + , for Mac or control + , for Windows),
- on MoneyWiz for Mac, click on MoneyWiz menu bar item in the top-left corner of the screen, next to Apple logo, then select Settings,
- on all platforms, click on the cog icon at the end of the navigational bar.
Once Settings window is open, switch to Categories tab. You'll see the list of categories. You can switch between Expense and Income categories (they are separate in MoneyWiz) using the tabs on top.
Creating new categories
To create new categories, use the New Category button. You'll be asked for:
- Category name: the name for your category, for example "Vegetables".
- Subcategory of...: use this to select a main category if the new category should be located "inside" it (e.g. Groceries -> Vegetables). If you have selected a category before clicking on New Category button, this will be pre-selected for you. If you need to expand a main category in order to select a sub-category, make sure to click on the > button to the far-right when browsing categories list.
- Category color: if you have enabled it in MoneyWiz Settings -> Transaction layout, you can pick a color for the category icon. If you did not enable this feature, expense categories will have red color and income categories green. Please note that if you've disabled displaying category icon altogether in Transaction layout settings, you will not see this setting.
- Category icon: if you didn't disable this in Settings -> Transaction layout, you can pick a descriptive icon for your category.
If you save your changes, your category will be placed in the location you've set.
To edit a category, double-click on it (MoneyWiz for Desktop) or select it from the list and click Edit (all platforms). A window will appear that looks just like the one for creating categories. You can now modify all category information.
To delete a category, select it from the list and click Delete. If the category was not used by any transactions, you'll be asked if you are sure about this. If you confirm, the category will be deleted.
If the category was found to be used in at least one transaction, instead of asking for simple confirmation, MoneyWiz will ask you if you wish to simply delete the category or merge it with another one.
Remember - if MoneyWiz simply asks you if you are sure to delete a category and does not offer merging it, this means that there are no transactions that use this category.
MoneyWiz will give you an option to merge categories if at least one transaction has been assigned the category you're about to delete. You can still choose to just delete the category - in that case, all transactions that have this category will become uncategorised.
If you choose to Merge and delete instead, you'll be asked to select another category to merge with. If you proceed, all transactions from category you're about to delete will be re-assigned to the new category and the category you're deleting will be deleted.