What this guide will cover
SYNCbits is a great way to sync your data across devices, regardless of the platform. In this article, we describe what SYNCbits is, why we've created it and how you can use it.
Table of contents
- What is SYNCbits and who created it?
- How to create a SYNCbits account?
- How to sign in to a SYNCbits account?
- Changing SYNCbits credentials
- Disconnecting from SYNCbits
- My data is not syncing across devices, help!
What is SYNCbits and who created it?
SYNCbits allows you to sync your MoneyWiz and MileWiz-related data across other devices. It is a service that we (creators of MoneyWiz) have created. In early MoneyWiz days, the service was called SyncEverything! but in version 1.5 we have done a huge overhaul of the service, rebranding it to SYNCbits. The service even has its own website!
Do you read my data?
Your data is secured in heavily encrypted form on our servers. If we don't have your account password, we cannot access the information. This means that if you forget your SYNCbits password and security answers, we can only hope to help you retrieve the data from a local database file on one of your devices. If no such copy exists, there is no way to decrypt your account. We just technically can't access your data.
Why not use Dropbox, iCloud, Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive instead?
We do use Dropbox but only for syncing your transaction attachments. As for the general sync, we did not want to tie ourselves with an external company. SYNCbits holds your sensitive financial information. You're willing to trust us with it so we want to build on this trust and keep your data secured at all times. If we were to use an external service for general sync, we'd be asking to not only put your trust in us but also in an external company.
Working on our custom syncing service also makes sense from a business standpoint. SYNCbits is crucial for MoneyWiz operations so we do not wish to outsource such an important part of our business to someone else.
What's also important is that some syncing platforms - like Apple's iCloud - are restricted to some platforms, while we want MoneyWiz to be as universally accessible as possible. Designing our own syncing service allows us to spread to new platforms easier.
Those three reasons were behind our decision to develop and maintain our custom-built syncing service. We are committed to keep it private and secure.
Do I have to use SYNCbits?
Not at all! Creating a SYNCbits account is optional so if you prefer, you can keep your data on just one device. Please note that in such case, you should make regular backups of your database as your device is the only location of your MoneyWiz database.
How to create a SYNCbits account?
Please note that you should always create your SYNCbits account from a device where you already have some data present. MoneyWiz will create your account and automatically upload your existing data to this account.
To create a SYNCbits account:
- on all platforms: click on the round avatar icon in the top-left corner. If you are not currently signed in, a sign up form will appear.
- on Mac: find the menu bar at the top of the screen, locate SYNCbits and select Sign Up.
- on Windows, iOS and Android: go to MoneyWiz Settings and then switch to SYNCbits section to select Sign Up.
- E-mail: this will be your SYNCbits login. This should be a real e-mail as this is also the e-mail we'll be sending important information regarding your account if necessary.
- Password: any password you wish. Make sure to remember this password!
- Security question 1: pick from the list of questions and provide an answer.
- Security question 2: select second security question and provide a password. You'll be asked to provide both security answers in case you forget your password. Please note that answers are case-sensitive!
- Join our newsletter: put a check if you wish to subscribe to our low-volume e-mail newsletter. You can change your subscription settings at any time.
Tip: if you create a Gravatar account and associate your SYNCbits e-mail with some avatar, we'll display that avatar in MoneyWiz!
How to sign in to a SYNCbits account?
Once you've created your SYNCbits account from one device, you should now sign into it using all other devices:
- on all platforms: click on the round avatar icon in the top-left. If you have an empty database, you'll be presented with signing in form.
- on Mac: find menu bar at the top of the screen and select SYNCbits then Sign In.
- on Windows, iOS and Android: go to MoneyWiz Settings, then SYNCbits and then Sign In.
Changing SYNCbits credentials
At any time, you can change your SYNCbits credentials.
Changing password and/or security answers
You can change your SYNCbits password from the application itself:
- on Mac: click on SYNCbits menu bar at the top of the screen and then select Change password.
- on Windows, iOS and Android: go to MoneyWiz Settings, SYNCbits and Change password.
In order to change your security answers, you'll need to sign into the SYNCbits portal. Use the green Change Security Questions/Answers button to change your security questions and answers. You can also change your password from here, using the blue Change Password button.
Please note that after changing your password, you'll be signed out from all devices (apart from the device you've used to change the password, if you did it from the application) and asked to sign back in.
Changing SYNCbits e-mail/login
At this time there is no public portal allowing you to change your SYNCbits e-mail. Only we can perform this operation for you.
If you wish to change your SYNCbits e-mail, please write us an e-mail. Be sure to do the following:
- Write to us from your current SYNCbits e-mail if possible. This will greatly speed up the process.
- In your message, make sure to clearly indicate what is the new e-mail you wish to use.
Disconnecting from SYNCbits
Returning to offline, single-device usage (de-syncing)
Once you've connected your database to SYNCbits, all changes you make in the application will be synced to SYNCbits servers. It is possible to "break" this connection, if you wish to stop using SYNCbits. This is especially useful if you wish to delete your SYNCbits account altogether, but keep the data you've entered so far.
Here's how to perform "de-sync" from different devices:
- Mac: hold ⎇ alt key on your keyboard while clicking on SYNCbits menu bar item at the top of the screen. You can release the alt key now. You should see a new menu appear: Force sync. Inside it, you'll find De-sync.
- Windows, iOS and Android: go to MoneyWiz Settings, then SYNCbits and click/tap 10 times on "you are signed in as" text. A new menu should appear from which you have to select De-sync.
In order to confirm that the process has been successful, check if your e-mail disappeared from SYNCbits menu. You should see Sign Up/Sign In buttons now instead.
How to delete SYNCbits account?
Please contact us about your SYNCbits account deletion as at this time, only we can perform this process. Please note that all data stored on the sync service will be permanently deleted! Furthermore, if you did not de-sync your local database (see above), then you'll be locked out of your data on all devices. Please be very sure about this and contact us if you need clarification.
My data is not syncing across devices, help!
Please use the SYNCbits self-diagnose tool.