What this guide will cover
MoneyWiz allows you to modify the window that appears when you begin adding new transaction. For example, you can hide the Currency switcher if all your accounts are in the same currency. You can also re-order the fields to better match the order you're entering the data in.
Even if all your transactions are arriving automatically via Online Banking, it might be worth checking those settings out as some of them also affect how data is displayed. For example, if you hide transaction date, you will not see it not only during transaction entry but it'll also be missing from transaction listings.
This guide is an overview of the changes you can make.
Table of contents
- Accessing Transaction layout settings
- Transaction layout templates
- Re-ordering fields
- Description of each setting
Accessing Transaction layout settings
In order to access Transaction layout settings, go to MoneyWiz Settings and find Transaction layout tab.
Transaction layout templates
MoneyWiz for Mobile features a small grouping of most common transaction layout settings in 4 descriptive groups:
- Simple: you'll only be asked to enter an amount and a category.
- Regular: MoneyWiz will prompt you for account, amount, payee, category and date. This is the default setting.
- Pro: you'll have every possible field enabled.
- Custom: you'll be able to enable and disable fields to your liking, like in MoneyWiz for Desktop.
While MoneyWiz for Desktop does not feature templates like this at this time, you can still enable and disable individual fields as you wish. And remember that transaction layout changes sync to other devices so if you use a template on Mobile, changes will sync to Desktop devices too.
In order to re-order transaction entry fields, you need to use the "Custom" template on Mobile. Simply tap and hold on the three-lines handle to the right then drag it to desired position.
On Desktop, just click anywhere on the transaction entry list and drag the field to a desired position.
Please note that the text-based field you place on top of other text-based fields (not necessarily on top) will control what information is displayed on transaction listings. More information can be found here.
What do Basic and Extended headings mean?
On the Transaction layout fields list, you'll notice that there are two headings: Basic and Extended. Any field dragged into Basic group will appear during transaction entry as you'd expect. On the other hand, any field dragged into the Extended group will be hidden until you reveal it using a button. It's very useful for fields that you don't use in every transactions (e.g. Memo field or Check number).
Description of each setting
Let's now review each setting individually and how you can change it.
Controls whether the account picker is visible. If you have just one account, you can disable it but keep it in case you have more than one account.
While you cannot hide the amount field (it's quite important one!), you can control it's behaviour. For example:
- Enter decimal sign automatically: if enabled, if you type 1234, MoneyWiz will enter 12.34 so you don't have to worry about decimals. Disable it if you don't like this behaviour (you'll need to enter the decimal separator yourself).
- Currency: allows you to disable the currency picker. If all your accounts are in the same currency, it's safe to disable this.
- Use calculator keyboard: (present in MoneyWiz for Mobile only) disabled will give you a standard numpad for entering amounts. Entering this will switch it to a calculator-type numpad which you can use not only to enter amounts but also to calculate them (e.g. if you bought 5 packs of cookies for the party, €1.47 each.
Description is a single-line text that describes what the transaction is about. You can disable it here. If you enable it though, you can control it using those settings:
- Capitalisation: (present in MoneyWiz for Mobile only) when entering description, MoneyWiz Can Capitalise Every New Word You Type, Only the first word or can perform no automatic capitalisation whatsoever.
- Auto-fill payee and category: if you enable this, picking a Description from the list of suggestions MoneyWiz gives you during transaction entry will cause it to automatically fill payee and category fields with the ones that were used last time you used this description.
Payee is the person or institution participating in your transaction. Using this setting you can disable it or configure it:
- Capitalisation: (present in MoneyWiz for Mobile only) when entering payee, MoneyWiz Can Capitalise Every New Word You Type, Only the first word or can perform no automatic capitalisation whatsoever.
- Auto-fill description and category: if you enable this, picking a Payee from the list of suggestions MoneyWiz gives you during transaction entry will cause it to automatically fill description and category fields with the ones that were used last time you used this payee.
During transaction entry, you can categorise your transactions by giving it a relevant category, like Groceries or Gas/Petrol. This setting allows you to disable the category field completely or heavily modify it to your preferences:
- Auto-fill description: if enabled, MoneyWiz will automatically fill your Description field with the category name in case you leave the Description field empty (will do nothing if your Description field is not empty). Disabling this disables this feature.
- Show category icon: when enabled, MoneyWiz will show the category icon (that you can modify in Settings -> Categories, more on this here) alongside each category in all places: category lists, transaction lists, etc. If you do not like the category icons, you can hide them using this setting.
- Category icon colour style: category icons in MoneyWiz can either have just 2 colours (red and green), depending on the transaction type (expense/income), helping you to identify certain types of transactions faster, or MoneyWiz can use a wide variety of colours to describe your category icons. If you set this to Colourful, MoneyWiz will randomly colorise your category icons. You can make changes in Settings -> Categories (see more here).
Date & time
Controls whether during transaction entry you'll see the date and/or time.
Check # (Check number)
Check number cannot be enabled here. Instead, you need to enable Check book register in an account. You can use Transaction layout to reposition this field though.
Memo is similar to Description - it's for storing text-based information about a transaction. However, Description can only fit a single line of text. Memo can fit up to 8 lines. Here you can control how many lines can Memo field fit.
Transactions in MoneyWiz can have images attached (e.g. photos of receipts or the items you've bought). You can read more about this here. This setting controls whether to display "Add image" button.
Whether to display tags field during transaction entry and if yes - what should be the tag separator. It can be either semicolon or comma:
You can read more about working with tags in the Tag basics guide.