This guide is written with MoneyWiz for Desktop in mind. Need one for Mobile? Click here!
This article explains how to create any type of account (checking, banking, credit card, cash, savings, Online Banking, loan, investment and crypto/forex).
Invoking the account creation window
There are few ways to start creating a new account:
- if you have no accounts in your MoneyWiz database, you'll be greeted with a welcome message, inviting you to "start by creating an account". Clicking on the "New Account" button visible below will allow you to choose the account type.
- at any time, you can select "File" from the menu bar and navigate to New -> New Account.
- at any time, you can click on the + button near the bottom-left of the user interface and select New Account,
- at any time, you can use a keyboard shortcut: Shift + Command + A on Mac and Shift + Control + A on Windows.
You'll then be asked to choose between two account modes:
- Automatic sync with bank/financial institution - choose this if you wish to create an Online Banking account,
- Manual transaction entry or import - choose this if you want to manage your accounts manually or import transactions in form of CSV, QIF, OFX, QFX or MT940 files.
Remember that at any time you can disconnect an Online Banking account to make it manual and connect a manual account to Online Banking.
Choosing an account type
If you have chosen the Online Banking account mode in previous step, you don't need to choose an account type - it'll be selected automatically depending on the accounts you select to connect.
If you have chosen the manual account mode, you'll now be asked to select the account type:
- Checking account (Banking) - use this for your daily checking/banking accounts or when in doubt,
- Credit account - use this for credit card accounts,
- Savings account - use this for regular saving accounts (non-investment),
- Loan account - use this for your mortgages, car loans and other accounts with an APR and monthly repayments,
- Cash/Wallet accounts - use this for money you carry in your wallet or purse,
- Investment account - use this for tracking your holdings and assets,
- Forex/Crypto account - use this for tracking your forex and crypto currency holdings and trades.
Some accounts have more detailed overview - use the links above to check them out.