This guide is written with MoneyWiz for Desktop in mind. Need one for Mobile? Click here!
Some customers notice that after editing or modifying an existing Scheduled transaction and changing the date and/or time of the transaction, the next occurrence date has moved very far to the future.
Because not everyone might be interested in the technical reasons behind this, we'll begin by sharing the solution.
How to fix
The easiest and quickest way of fixing this is to duplicate the Scheduled transaction (click on it and select Duplicate) then set the Start date as the next occurrence of this transaction. After duplicating, simply delete the old transaction with future date.
Why this happens?
The way that Scheduled transactions work in MoneyWiz at the moment is that we do not store the dates that they were executed on but the number of times they were executed. So a transaction that was set up to occur on 1 January 2019 and repeat every month, would be executed 6 times by June 2019:
1 January 2019 + executed 6 times = 1 July 2019
- If you look at the transaction thumbnail in Scheduled transactions section, it will show 1 July 2019, as this is the next time it will be due.
- If you go to edit the transaction, it will display 1 January 2019 as that was the original date of the Scheduled transaction.
What's also important to remember that if you go to edit the Scheduled transaction and change the date there from 1 January 2019 to, for example, 5 February 2019, MoneyWiz will still remember that this transaction was executed 6 times so far:
5 February 2019 + executed 6 times = 5 August 2019
Again, if you look at the transaction thumbnail in Scheduled transactions section, it will show 5 August 2019, as this is the next time it will be due.
The general rule of thumb is:
- When you look at the transaction thumbnail in the Scheduled section, you will always see the next date when transaction is due.
- When you look at the date when editing a Scheduled transaction, it will always see the first date of Scheduled transaction.
- If you want to change the day of the month of the Scheduled transaction, do not change the month or the year. Just change the day of the month and leave the month and year as it was.
We will be making it more intuitive in future versions of MoneyWiz.