This guide is written with MoneyWiz for Mobile in mind. Need one for Desktop? Click here!
This article explains how to create any type of account (checking, banking, credit card, cash, savings, Online Banking, loan, investment and crypto/forex).
- Invoking the account creation window
- Choosing an automatic account mode
- Choosing a manual account type
Invoking the account creation window
There are few ways to start creating a new account:
- if you have no accounts in your MoneyWiz database, you'll be greeted with a welcome message, inviting you to "start by creating an account". Clicking on the "New Account" button visible below will allow you to choose the account type,
- at any time, you can switch to Accounts section and use the + button in the top-right,
- on iPad, you can also use the + button in the sidebar on the left.
You'll then see a list of most popular banks in your country that you can connect to. If your bank is among them, just tap on its logo. In case you don't see your bank on this list, tap on the "Search all banks" button to see a complete one. If MoneyWiz got your country wrong, just tap on the country menu at the top to see the list of all supported countries.
Connecting to your bank directly enables you to download transactions from your bank automatically so you don't need to enter them manually. Please note that this requires a MoneyWiz Premium subscription.
If you prefer to add transactions manually, tap on the "Add manual account" instead. Remember that at any time you can disconnect an Online Banking account to make it manual and connect a manual account to Online Banking.
Choosing an automatic account mode
When you select a bank, you'll be asked which mode of connection you wish to use:
- One time - MoneyWiz will connect to your bank, download your historical transactions once and then close the connection. You'll need to enter newer transactions manually as they happen. This is great if you like to have very tight control over how your data appears in MoneyWiz.
- Continuous - just like above, MoneyWiz will download your historical transactions but it won't close the connection after. It will keep syncing new transactions automatically as they happen. You'll still have the option to add new transactions manually but the button for that won't be as exposed as if it as a manual account. Don't worry - if MoneyWiz categorizes your transaction incorrectly, you can easily modify the transaction.
Choosing a manual account type
If you have chosen the Online Banking account mode in previous step, you don't need to choose an account type - it'll be selected automatically depending on the accounts you select to connect. If you have chosen the manual account mode, you'll now be asked to select the account type:
- Checking account (Banking) - use this for your daily checking/banking accounts or when in doubt,
- Credit account - use this for credit card accounts,
- Savings account - use this for regular saving accounts (non-investment),
- Loan account - use this for your mortgages, car loans and other accounts with an APR and monthly repayments,
- Cash/Wallet accounts - use this for money you carry in your wallet or purse,
- Investment account - use this for tracking your holdings and assets,
- Forex/Crypto account - use this for tracking your forex and crypto currency holdings and trades.
Some accounts have more detailed overview - use the links above to check them out.